Now that you know what Imposter Syndrome looks like in your business, let’s talk about how to get past it.
Here are 3 steps to overcome Imposter Syndrome. You might recognize these from the podcast or my previous emails or podcast episodes.
The A-A-A model
- Awareness. Notice when Imposter Syndrome comes up. Name it. Be curious about it (and kind to yourself). Don’t ignore it.
- Acceptance. This one is really two steps.
- First, know that this thought may have helped you succeed in the past, but you no longer need it as much. E.g., Are you a perfectionist? That has kept you ‘safe’ in the past. But now, it might be hindering—rather than helping—you.
- Next, ask yourself: Are you ready to do anything about it? Not yet? That’s okay. Stay here, in acceptance, for the time being. Sometimes acceptance takes 5 minutes… Or 5 years… But if you’re ready to make a change, move onto the Action stage.
- Action. Stop the trash talk. Interrupt the thought whenever you notice yourself talking like an imposter. Replace it with a new thought! Remember: Confidence comes after action, not before. So, this difference will feel uncomfortable at first.
Want to keep a reminder of this Imposter Syndrome-destroying method close?
I made you a visual that you can print out and put on your desk.
Take a look at it each time you feel THAT feeling coming up as you work.
And please remember that you don’t have to spar with Imposter Syndrome alone.
If this is something that you struggle with, you’re not the only one.
Surround yourself with other emerging leaders just like yourself who get it. Community helps validate you where you are. It also gives you the insight you need to grow—and keep Imposter Syndrome from taking the wheel.
Psst: One way to do that is to join the waitlist for Solo to CEO.
Take this small action and join us in kicking Imposter Syndrome to the curb this year.
You’ve got this.